11 May 2012

Legendary Jim Rogers: Brokers Going Broke, Farmers Will Become Rich - Very Rich!


Steve Forbes: Jim Rogers, thank you for joining us.
Jim Rogers: My pleasure.
Forbes: Let’s go through a little bit of historyYou teamed up in the early 1970s with George SorosHad a great fund, got out in the early 1980s. Quickly recapture what you did and how you did it at such a young age.
Rogers: Well, we had a successful ten yearsI didn’t want to wake up at 75 and still be looking at a computer screenI’d always wanted to have more than one life, so off I set to have more than one lifeAnd I’ve had more than one life. I retiredI was 37. And set off to have more than one life.
Forbes: Any motorcycle trips in the offingAny more books on the exotic places of the world?

Rogers: No. I went around the world in a car, 1999 to 2001, and I really haven’t been on a motorcycle much since thenIt grieves me that you ask, because some of the finest times of my life were on motorcycles, including the trip around the world on the motorcycleBut now I’m doing other thingsI’ve got two little girlsI’m living in Singapore, which is not a great motorcycle placeNow I’m doing other things.
Forbes: I can’t imagine you speeding there.
Rogers: No, noI mean, the speed limit is 90 kilometers an hourIt’s not a great motorcycle place.
Forbes: Not to be negotiated.
Rogers: Right, and not negotiableYou’re rightExactly.
Forbes: Talking about Singapore, when you moved there you decided to have three dates:  1807, you’d move to London. 1907, you’ve got to go to New York. 2007, you’re in Asia, specifically Singapore. Why?
Rogers: Well, the 20th century was the century of the U.SThe 19th century was the century of the U.KThe 21st century will be the century of Asia, and it’s becoming more and more evident. And especially of ChinaI wanted my children to grow up knowing Asia and speaking MandarinI think the best skills that I can give two girls born in 2003 and 2008 is to know Asia and to know MandarinSo there we areI couldn’t do it in New YorkI triedI tried doing it in New YorkBut it was not possibleSo there we are.
Forbes: What do you see as the problem with the U.S.?
Rogers: The main problem is the staggering debtWe are the largest debtor nation in the history of the world, Steve, as you undoubtedly know, because you probably read ForbesIt’s amazing how high the debt is, and it’s going up by leaps and boundsIt’s just mind boggling how fast it’s going upNobody seems to understand or care what the significance and the consequences will beIt’s not goodIt’s not good news.
Forbes: In the past, we’ve had some rough periods – I remember the malaise of the 1970s – and the U.S. has come backYou don’t see that happening againAre we just digging the hole so deep we’re not going to be able to get ourselves out?
Rogers: There will be ralliesThe U.K. in 1918 was the richest, most powerful country in the worldThere was no number twoIn three generations, they were bankruptNow in that period of time, they had some rallies, as you well knowThey won the Second World War, for instanceSo they had some big ralliesBut basically, they were in decline.
I would like to think that there’s something which is going to save usI can think of some things which will give us ralliesBut I cannot see anything – I mean, look at JapanJapan has staggering internal debtThey still are externally a creditor nationThey still have a balance of trade surplusWe’re the largest external debtor nation in history and the largest internal debtor nation in historyWe’ll have ralliesBut Steve, I don’t see what can cause us to repeat, perhaps, the ’70sWe’re in relative declineMaybe you would like to debate thatI don’t think soI don’t see that that relative decline will stop.
Forbes: Now in terms of investing, commoditiesYou have the Rogers Global Resources Equity IndexYou don’t see the dollar eventually getting strong againDo you think commodities replace –
Rogers: I actually own the dollarI actually own the dollar, as we stand here.I bought the dollar 15-16 months ago17.
Forbes: That’s just a bear market rally?
Rogers: It’s a bear market rally, yes, in my viewAlthough when I walk out of here, I may buy moreNo, I don’t see it as anything more than a bear market rallyBut I own several currencies around the worldThere may be a time, Steve, in the foreseeable future, when all of us are going to be getting rid of our paper money, because it’s being debased all over the worldOne reason I own the dollar is because everybody’s panicked about the debasement of these other currenciesPaper money is suspect.
Forbes: So it’s just the best house in a bad neighborhood?
Rogers: I’m not even sure it’s the best house in a bad neighborhoodBut it’s a good house in the bad neighborhood, for the moment.
Forbes: Getting back to commodities, what makes you bullish on commodities?
Rogers: Well, there’s been a huge dearth of investment in productive capacity for 30 years now. The last lead smelter built in America was built in 1969No gigantic elephant oil fields discovered since the 1960sI could go to agricultureSteve, you should start an agriculture magazineBecause the profits in agriculture –
Forbes: Share with us the observation you made about somebody majoring in public relations and agriculture.
Rogers: Well doneMore people in America study public relations than study farmingWe have no farmersYou went to Princeton; nobody you went to school with became a farmerI went to Yale; nobody I went to Yale with became a farmerThe average age of farmers in America is 58 years oldIn Japan, the average age is 66In Australia, it’s 58Hundreds of thousands of Indian farmers commit suicide every yearIt’s a disastrous businessIn the U.K., the highest rate of suicide is in agricultureIt’s been a horrible business for 30 years. Prices have to go up – have go to up a lot – or we’re not going to have any food at any price.
Unless you’re going to become a farmer.
Forbes: Then we truly starveBut you pointed out we have 200,000 PR graduates, 20,000 farmers coming out of our schoolsAnd you have a wonderful phrase, “You can’t eat press releases.”
Rogers: That’s exactly rightYou cannot eat press releases. It was actually 200,000 M.B.A.’s we have coming outThat’s even worseWe have more people doing M.B.A.’s than doing PR.
There’s going to be a huge shift in American society, American culture, in the places where one is going to get richThe stock brokers are going to be driving taxisThe smart ones will learn to drive tractors so they can work for the smart farmersThe farmers are going to be driving LamborghinisI’m telling you.You should start Forbes Farming.
Forbes: In the 1970s, we heard the same thing, and it didn’t happenWhy?
Rogers: Well, farmers did make a lot of money in the 1970s.
Forbes: And then lost it all in the ’80s.
Rogers: Yeah, but it actually started beforeThat’s my pointThese things go in cyclesThere has never been any bull market which has lasted foreverNo bull market in the history of the world has lasted foreverThese commodity cycles come and goOn average, they’ve lasted 18 to 20 years in the pastI have no idea how long this will lastBut it’s not over yet.
Forbes: Thoughts on goldYou were suspicious in the late 2011, not without reasonWhere does that go from here?
Rogers: Well, I own goldI’m not selling my goldI’m not even hedging my gold, at the moment, although I’m thinking about itGold’s up 11 years in a row, which is extremely unusual, as you know, for any asset classIt’s correcting right nowI would suspect it’s going to continue to correct.
There are some things going on in the worldThe Indians are coming down hard on gold, and they’re the largest consumer of gold in the worldSo it may continue to correctIf so – if it goes down further – I hope I’m smart enough to buy more. To buy a lot moreThe bull market in gold is not over yet, Steve.
Forbes: Now going back to Asia, ChinaYou have not been a big fan of stocksYou are of the currencyHow do you play China now?
Rogers: The best way to play China is commodities, because they have to buy commoditiesIf you’ve got cotton, they will take you to dinner, they will pay for your dinner and they’ll pay you on timeYou don’t have to worry about corporate governance or any of that kind of stuffThey don’t care who the head of The Federal Reserve is if you have cottonBecause cotton is its own worldAnd many other commodities, as well.
I own the Renminbi, as wellIt’s a good way to play ChinaI don’t buy Chinese shares, except when they collapseThey collapsed last in November of 2008I bought more Chinese sharesIf and when they collapse again, I’ll buy more.My Chinese shares are for my childrenThey’re not for me.
Forbes: Now looking at China itself, can they become (as the U.S. has been) an innovative economy instead of a catch up economyAre they going to do the real value added stuffDo you see the changes coming on that?
Rogers: The first time I went to China, 25 or 30 years ago, there was one radio, one TV, one newspaper, one way to dress, one everythingThat’s changed dramatically, as you knowIn China now, they produce something like, I don’t know, 20 times as many engineers every year as we doThey didn’t in the pastIt was a very closed and traumatic society and autocratic societyThat’s changing rapidly.
I suspect, yes, some of these engineers are going to turn out to be hotshot engineersI don’t know whenI don’t know whereBut China has a long history of entrepreneurship and capitalismThey’ve been disastrous, at times, in their historyBut they’ve also been spectacularly successful, at some times in their historySo teach your children Mandarin, teach your grandchildren Mandarin.
Forbes: You’re not a fan of India?
Rogers: No, no, noI’m short India as a matter of factI love to go thereIf you can only visit one country in your life, Steve, for whatever reason, I would urge you to go to IndiaThere’s nothing quite like it from a tourist point of viewBut as far as a bureaucratic maze, it’s the worst bureaucracy in the world.They don’t like foreignersThey don’t like capitalistsThey don’t like people making moneyIt’s a fabulous country to visit, but I wouldn’t try to do business there.
Forbes: So what’s happening in high tech is just an outlier?
Rogers: Yeah, very much soYou can probably name four or five companies – I doubt if you could name four or five, I could probably name two or three high technology companiesSteve, there are a billion people in IndiaWe hope that somebody’s successfulAnd most of the outlying outliers that are the successful Indians that you know live in Europe or AmericaThere are very few great success stories in India itselfThere areThey existOut of a billion people, of course.
Forbes: JapanAre they ever going to get out of this rut?
Rogers: I own the currencyAnd when they had the tsunami, I bought shares, as a matter of fact, as they collapsedIt’s always been a good thing to do when there’s a huge natural disasterIt’s usually a good thing to do, to buy into the marketI doubt in five years I will own themI doubt if I’ll own the currency or the shares. Japan’s got staggering problemsThey’ve got the highest internal debt in the world and they’ve got a declining populationThey’ve got serious problems.
Forbes: Talking about debt, India’s piling on debt, too.
Rogers: I knowThat’s why I’m short IndiaThat’s one reason I’m short India – because they’ve got this huge debtFor some reason there are all these bulls walking around that don’t seem to understand that India has a debt to GDP ratio of 90%They’re still bullishThey don’t do their homework.
Forbes: You going into Myanmar?
Rogers: I’m extremely optimisticIf I could put all of my money into Myanmar, I wouldI cannot, because you and I are citizens of the land of the freeIn the land of the free, we cannot invest in MyanmarEverybody else canThe Japanese, everybody’s pouring into Myanmar, except all of us from the land of the free.
It is so excitingIt is like going to China in 1978; it’s exactly the same placeIt might be more exciting, because it’s been such a disaster for 50 years and now they’re opening upThey’re right between India on the left, China on the right – huge natural resources, 60 million people, disciplined, hard work, educated.Oh my gosh, it’s such an exciting opportunityBut all you and I can do is I can read about it in ForbesI can’t do anything.
Forbes: Where else are you doing things?
Rogers: Well, the other place that I see wildly exciting things is North Korea, but we can’t do anything thereThere’s no market in North Korea eitherBut there’s going to be a merger soon of North and South Korea and that’s going to be a very, very exciting placeThen you’ll have a country of 75 million people, right on the border of China, huge labor pool, lots of natural resources in North KoreaThey’re going to run circles around the JapaneseThe reasons the Japanese don’t want it to happen is because they don’t want a huge new competitorThey got their own problems.
North Korea, I wish I could find – I’m looking for ways to investI have a couple of waysBut they’re not of great interestThese are the places that I find the most excitingBut as far as stocks, for the most part I’m short stocks.I don’t own many stocks in the worldI own commoditiesI own currencies.
Forbes: Vineyards?
Rogers: Not in vineyardsNo, that’s a good ideaI don’t own anyNo, I don’t own any vineyardsNo, I drink the stuff, I don’t grow itIt takes too long to grow it, so I’d rather drink it.
Forbes: So to sum up, the U.S. – long term, secular decline.
Rogers: Certainly relative secular declineThere’s no question about that.We may have a lot of oilWhen the U.K. had a big rally, went bankrupt in the ’70s, it had a big rally because the North Sea oil started flowingI know Margaret Thatcher takes credit for it – it was the North SeaNorth Sea oil started flowing in 1979, the same year Margaret Thatcher came to power.
If you give me the largest oil field in the world, I’ll show you an extremely good time, as you can imagineWe may have the largest oilfield in the world, with all this oil shale and natural gas, shale gas if they can solve the environmental problemsThat would cause a huge rally in the U.SWe’re very good at agriculture or have beenThat could cause a big rally in the U.S.
So don’t give up on the U.SI own the dollarI’m a U.S. taxpayer, U.S. citizen.So don’t give up on the U.SBut I’m afraid it’s nothing more than a secular rally, because we’re the largest debtor nation in the world and nobody cares, except me and youI know you careBut other than the two of us, nobody seems to care.
Forbes: So why aren’t you running for president?
Rogers: No, no, no.
Forbes: Might do better than I did.
Rogers: No, that’s why I’m notBecause I know I wouldn’tAnd second of all, you think I want to spend my time being nice to people I don’t want to be nice toYou tried that. I can’t imagine it’s a lot of fun, going out day to day being nice to people you don’t want to be nice toI don’t want to do that.
Forbes: Jimmy, thank you.
Rogers: Thank you, SteveGood fun, as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment