19 Jul 2015

Caught On Tape: Pro Surfer Mick Fanning Attacked By Shark On Live TV

"I felt something grab, got stuck in my leg rope, and I instantly just jumped," a still-shocked Fanning said immediately after the incident. "It just kept coming at my board." The Australian three-time world champion was lifted out of the water by a rescue jet ski mere seconds after the attack, which happened when he was paddling out to catch his first wave. "I just saw fins, I didn't see teeth," he said. "I was waiting for the teeth to come at me. I punched it in the back."
The WSL issued an official statement following the incident: "We are incredibly grateful that no one was seriously injured today. Mick's composure and quick acting in the face of a terrifying situation was nothing short of heroic and the rapid response of our Water Safety personnel was commendable -- they are truly world class at what they do."
The competition was canceled following the attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment